Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

"Make Me Think" Monday

So I picked up this little book yesterday at the picnic I mentioned in an earlier post & it gave me an idea for a series of posts. The book is called The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D. & it is stocked full of all kinds of questions designed to make people think & to promote conversations about topics that are sometimes deemed "uncomfortable" or "difficult" for polite conversation. I am going to tackle a question from the book each week until I get tired of doing it or I run out of questions :) I am excited to hear what other peoples' thoughts are on these questions-there are no right or wrong answers-please feel free to leave me a comment with your thoughts on the questions. If anyone wants to do a post about a question one week, please leave me a link to it in the comment section. Here it goes...

Since today is the 7th, I will go with Question #7:

"Do you think that the world will be a better or a worse place 100 years from now?"

Honestly, I think that it will probably be about the same as it is now. I think that in regards to medical & technological advances, yes, the world will probably be "better" in a sense that there will be better medicines (maybe less disease) & faster ways of communicating with one another, but I don't think that those things make for a "better" place by themselves. I think that people in general are probably always going to be about the same. I think that we like to believe that we are a better people than we were hundreds or even thousands of years ago, but I think that when it comes right down to it society is going to be what it is. Countries & people will always find something to argue about or want something that the other one has. There have always been people in the world who will sacrifice their own needs for the needs of others & there will always be people in the world who are looking for some way to take advantage or to exploit these people. That same scenario carries out again & again within all levels~families, towns, cities, states, countries, etc until it ends up effecting global relations. I do not believe that within the next 100 years there will be some kind of "magic wand" that makes this different, but I can always HOPE that it will happen someday & that my words here will be proven wrong :) If we could all just start looking out for someone else's interests besides our own, the world could be a much better aka 'nicer & gentler' place and maybe those 'differences' we use to keep ourselves separated & to judge others wouldn't be such a big deal anymore.

Your thoughts please... :)

1 comment:

Carrie27 said...

Positive thinker.

Me, not so much. I worry what will become of our world as we know it. How many more wars will be fought, how many more lives will be lost? I do think we'll be more advanced, but I do not think that making advances necessarily makes the world a better place. It could be worse. People could become even lazier than they are now, money hungry, etc.