Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

#4 Music


Music is a part of me.

Now, I could not tell you the difference between a C note & a G note just by sound alone-no I have to see the music to do that. And when the musician in a movie/show inevitably asks the singer/other musician "what key would you like?"-believe me when I say, I have no freakin' idea how they know what they are talking about. Oh yes, I know that they sound different & I might be able to tell you the difference between a minor key & a major key, but to be so specific about that stuff-please don't even begin to trust me with it! And don't even get me started on having to find a beat-oh, I can, but it's not always pretty. Trust me when I say that marching band was definitely not my strong suit! ;)

I do know, though, that music has always been a big part of my life. From the radio always being on in our house growing up, from all of the tapes & eventually CD's I listened to growing up, from the MP3's that eventually came blasting out of my computer in college, from my days of taking piano lessons when I broke my arm up through part of high school, from my days in junior high band playing the clarinet (I wanted to play in high school, but mom said it was too much "running" along with doing sports-at the time I didn't fully get that, but now I do :), from the days of dancing any chance I could get at various weddings/outings to these most recent days of hoping to instill a similar love of music into my own child. Music has & always will be a big part of my life.

It is the one thing that I know I can turn to when I am feeling stressed & know that after just a few well-picked songs (either listened to or played on my piano), I will be feeling better. It is also the one thing (besides having a good friend to share it with) that makes exercising seem easier. It is the one thing that is probably most tied to my memories. There are many songs that when I hear them, I am instantly taken back to a certain time/place/feeling in my life almost as clearly as if I was right there again-if only for a moment anyway. I could not even begin to imagine my world without music in it...in fact, when answering the question, "would you rather be blind or deaf?" I usually say blind because I would hate never getting to hear some of my favorite songs/sounds again & the voices of loved ones (which are like music to my ears-nice how I worked that in there, huh? ;)

So, over the next 30 years, music-I hope you & I will be hearing quite a bit of each other still! :)

No comments: