Pages

Friday, April 3, 2009

I Swear!

And many times I don't even realize I'm doing it! It is a very good thing that I work with little kids all day long who can catch me at my worst moments...

(Reading a book to Kindergartners)

Me: "That's a funny word, what do you think it means?"

Blank stares followed & then all of a sudden a little girl raises her hand...

Little girl: "I think maybe silly..."

Me: "Yes, that's right, it means silly or funny"

(interrupting) Little boy: "OOHHH! You cussed!"

Me: "Excuse me? I did not."

Little boy: "Yes you did-I heard it! You cussed!"

Me: "All I said was that it meant silly or funny. I did not say any cuss words." (And of course the whole time I am trying to avoid asking him what he thought I said because I didn't need a whole carpet full of kindergartners repeating whatever it was that he thought I said...)

Little boy: "No, you said it before that."

Me: (really confused now) What? Ok well moving on, back to the story...

I proceed to reread the part that I had just read to them before I stopped to ask the question, when all of a sudden I see the offensive word...it was the word I had asked them to tell me the meaning of...RIDICULOUS (if you say it real slow, you can hear the "cuss word" in the middle!)

So much for me trying to set a good example :) & so much for hoping that maybe little kids can remain naive for a little longer in this day & age!

No comments: