Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Books, Books, Books!

I've been reading like a crazy lady this month & can now add #'s 8, 9, & 10 to my list for the year!
All 3 were fantastic books & here are some of my thoughts on each.

Book # 8: Legacy of Silence by Belva Plain

I am always a sucker for a "family saga" book where the reader follows a family through several generations. I enjoyed following Caroline & her daughters Eve & Jane (who were born almost 20 years apart) through their lives along with Caroline's sister, Lore. The ending left me feeling a little sad for "what could have been" for all of them, but it was also the ending that tied all of the events & their effects in the whole story together. Thanks to my MIL for recommending it!

Book # 9: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

Oh, Harry Potter, I have been going on for the last 4 books about not "getting" what all of the fuss has been about, but you have finally sucked me in & I can honestly say that I get in now. Maybe it is because Harry isn't such a naive character anymore. Maybe it is because this book felt a little deeper in order to grab hold of an adult's interest. I do have to admit that I wasn't too sure about the "darker" Harry & didn't completely enjoy all of the angst he was feeling, but it did make for a story that I found very hard to put down! Book #6~here I come (as soon as I can get this one returned to my sister :)

Book # 10: A Bend in the Road by Nicholas Sparks

I liked this story even though I did have the hit-and-run driver pegged within the first few chapters (I tend to like having more of a challenge). I also found this book very hard to put down & really enjoyed the characters. I also have to say that I have read a few of Nicholas Sparks's books & I just KNEW that somebody was going to have to die, but I wasn't sure who & I really didn't want it to be any of these characters whom I had really enjoyed. Thankfully, this time around~no one died on me, except of course the main character's, Miles, first wife which is the event that sets this whole story in motion, but that has all already happened once you've started reading the story.

All in all, I'd say 3 big thumbs up for these books!

No comments: