Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tuesday's Soapbox: Adoption & Faith

I am proud to be an adoptive parent!
Do I feel like I missed out on the whole pregnancy/giving birth thing? Yes, a little at times, but most of the time-no. I have been able to experience it vicariously through several of my family & friends, which isn't the same, but I can say that it is 'enough'.
Do I still have "time" to try to experience all of that? Yes, I am only 28. Scott & I have talked about it, but when it comes right down to it-we enjoy & respect this "ride" that is called adoption & we're just not sure if we want to even enter into that whole IF emotional rollercoaster again.
Adoption has already touched our lives in so many ways & it feels like the natural choice for us, but it can seem like a tough choice at times especially when...

*you feel like you are held under a bit more of a microscope than other parents...

*medical questions arise that you can't answer...

*you try to imagine how you will answer your child's questions in the future & hope that they are not given a harder time because they are adopted...

*you hear the phrase "that must be the [insert any family's name] blood in him/her" directed toward a relative's bio child because you know that this may make your child feel awkward down the road

Adoption can be tough, but it is also oh-so-wonderful & is a true test of faith on many different levels...

*Faith that one day you will receive the phone call that will change your life forever...

*Faith on the part of the birthparents that they are choosing the right home/parents to raise their little one...

*Faith on the part of the adoptive parents that their hearts will not get broken & that they can do the best they can by that little one & the birthparents' wishes...

*Faith on the part of the little one that all of these adults know what is best for him/her.

Our faith is about to be tested, yet again, very soon & we could not be more excited about it. We can't wait to welcome another new little person into the world (whether he ends up coming home with us or not) & we are hopeful for many happy days ahead! Stay tuned...;)

Disclaimer: "Tuesday's Soapboxes" are not meant to be offensive-Comments I make are not meant to be directed at any one person or group, but are just my thoughts on whatever topic I choose for that particular Tuesday. The topics may range from serious in nature to just downright silly. As always, I appreciate hearing what you have to say about them, however, I am not here to start any 'debates'. Thanks for reading & I hope you enjoyed :)

No comments: