Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Wholesome Country Songs

I love music & I grew up listening to mostly country (my parents believe that most of the other forms of music are just "noise" except maybe polka & oldies, which I also like). Although, I have grown quite fond of most other forms of music, since being introduced to them somewhere around junior high, Country music still holds a very special place in my heart. I like it all, but especially the "old" country & being the naive person that I am-I held the belief that country music is more "wholesome" than other forms of music (i.e. rap, rock n roll, etc.) However, (& my former college roommates can attest to this) as an adult, I have come to realize that a lot of the country songs out there are very "dirty" & personally, I love "dirty" songs! Back in the college days, it seemed like I would come back to school fairly often just having found out that one of the "old" songs I had heard over the weekend was actually implying something other than what the literal words were saying. (Trust me, my former roommates had several good laughs over my naivety!) This all came back to me this week while Luke & I were "kitchen dancing" & the song Don't Call Him A Cowboy by Conway Twitty came on the radio. I hadn't heard it for quite some time, but oh my was I surprised (granted I know that lots/most of his songs are "dirty", but it had been awhile since I heard this one.) Of course, I thought it was quite clever-check out the lyrics for yourself.

So you came from New York city
And you want to see the sights
You've heard all about those cowboys
And those crazy Texas nights
I see you've got your eye on something
Leaning on the bar
But the toughest ride he's ever had
Was in his foreign car

Chorus:
So don't call him a cowboy
Until you've seen him ride
'Cause a Stetson hat and those fancy boots
Don't tell ya what's inside no
And if he ain't good in the saddle
Lord, you won't be satisfied
So don't call him a cowboy
Until you've seen him ride

He's the Hollywood idea
Of the wild and woolly west
In his french designer blue jeans
And his custom tailored vest
You think he's the real thing
But I think you oughta know
He can't even make it through
A one night rodeo. No.

Speaking of horses & saddles-one song that I do remember only "figuring out" in college is I've got the Horse (She's got the Saddle) by Mel Tillis & have since then always claimed it as "my song" because the implications were so obvious (even in the title) that I should have caught on years before! What can I say, I'm a little slow sometimes!!!

No comments: