Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

2009 Book #2

For Book #2, I read The Shack by Wm. Paul Young.

This book is about a man named Mack whose young daughter, Missy, was killed by a serial killer while on a family camping trip. One day he receives a note apparently from God telling him to return to the shack where Missy was killed. Once he is at the shack, he receives a visit from some very special visitors. Due to these circumstances, he has to come to terms with Missy's death & his own relationship with God.

What can I say about this book? Well, first of all, it impacted me quite deeply while reading it. It presented me with a different way of viewing God that made sense to me & even answered some of those questions I am always asking myself about God & religion in general. It made me THINK, which is one thing that makes a book a "good" book for me. I also liked that it was basically just a book about God & his love for us without being a book that crams "religion" down your throat, so I don't believe that it would "offend" anyone. I also liked that it did address some of the problems with religion in general, but that it did not put down any specific religions either, which is something I don't agree with in our society. I enjoyed the overall lessons I took away from this book too-we should not judge each other so harshly, we should treat each other with kindness, we gain strength from our relationships with others & God, etc.

I highly recommend this book & would enjoy to hear what you have to say about it too! You can check out more about it here.

No comments: